|Our little fans are spreading the news!|
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Saturday, September 11, 2010
You’ve just witnessed your baby demonstrating the Moro (or startle) reflex. Excessive information applied to any of the baby’s senses will set off the reflex, such as a bright light, loud noise, sudden touch, or unexpected stimulation of the balance mechanism such as tilting backwards. The reflex wears off by a few months of age, but what can you do to help your baby sleep more soundly in the meantime?
Proper swaddling helps babies calm down and go to sleep, and to sleep better, deeper and longer.
To swaddle properly, wrap your baby with her arms comfortably tucked inside to recreate the familiar womb-like sensation. Swaddle with lightweight, breathable fabrics to eliminate concerns of overheating. (Use blankets designed for the job, not any old thing within arms reach!) The swaddle blanket should not touch the baby’s face or chin. Doing so prompts the rooting response, baby’s natural inclination to search for a nipple, which can cause her to wake and cry in frustration.
A swaddled baby should only be laid down in a face-up (supine) position. Clinical research has shown that babies who were on their backs swaddled had a 30% lower risk of SIDS than babies on their backs not swaddled.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends swaddling for newborns to 14 weeks of age as a general rule of thumb. After 14 weeks babies will begin learning to roll over on their own from a supine to a prone (face-down) position. SIDS risk increases greatly with prone swaddling, which is why tight swaddling techniques should be discontinued at 14 weeks of age. However, this is the age babies begin gaining the muscle control needed to bring their hands to their mouths to self-sooth, adding to a natural transition away from the need for swaddling.
Babies should only be swaddled during sleep times. It’s tempting to use it more frequently for fussy babies, but your baby needs her hands free to learn about the world during her wakeful times. Instead of swaddling for an awake, unsettled baby, try other calming techniques such as baby-wearing (slings, wraps, etc). More on that another time…
By Pam Diamond, owner of First Daze & Nightzzz (http://firstdaze.com)
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Have you ever felt like you could use an extra pair of hands to help out with your baby? There are nannies, babysitters and even family members who could help but sometimes, you just need a little bit more. Mama Roo by 4moms serves as an extra pair of “hands” whenever you need it. Ordinary baby swings or baby bouncy seats are limited in motion options and take up more space. Mama Roo is a unique baby swing bouncer that will move just like you do so your baby will not know whether it is you holding her or the swing!
Mama Roo moves in FIVE different unique motions and at five different speeds. This way, you can make your baby feel the most comfortable that he or she has ever been. Also, to keep your baby entertained and happy, Mama Roo has three different plush toy balls attached to it at hands reach that are safe to chew on and machine washable. Besides keeping your baby entertained, Mama Roo is also the perfect atmosphere for your baby to be lulled to sleep. There are different white noise nature sounds and if that’s not enough, you can attach any MP3 player and play your baby’s favorite lullaby songs. It can be rocked and reclined to any position on its axis.
You’ve heard it in words but now to see the Mama Roo in action, check out this video and you can see for yourself how wonderful this product truly is:
What better way to believe all of this than hearing it from an actual parent? Well, Cindy Reichel from Sauk Rapids, MN said, “It is definitely the best soothing technique I have found! If you are looking for a product to make your and your baby’s life a little easier for a very reasonable price, please try the Mama Roo!! This is a must have product for all new…and repeat parents!”
With Mama Roo, it is play time, sleep time, anytime.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
- 2-Phase Expression Technology - Medela is the only breastpump manufacturer that utilizes this technology
- Medela products are consistently ranked 4 & 5 stars on customer reviews and recommended through other non-biased review sites.
- Lactation consultant recommended.
- Mom panel recommended.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Equipping the Nursery
- 2-3 Fitted Crib Sheets
- Changing table or dresser
- Changing Pad and 2-3 Covers
- Air Purifier
- Diaper Pail
- Wipe Warmer
- 2-3 Swaddle Blankets
- Baby Monitor
- Sound Machine
- Toy Basket
Mom and Dad’s Room
- Bassinet, Cradle or Mini Crib
- 1-2 extra sheets
- Changing Pad
- Diaper Caddy (stocked with diapering supplies and and an extra outfit)
- Basket stocked with burp cloths, nasal aspirator, breastfeeding necessities
- Nursing Pillow
- Take Me Home Outfit
- 5-8 Pajamas
- 2-3 Gowns or Blanket Sleepers
- 5-8 Bodysuits
- 2-3 pairs of mittens (to protect from scratching)
- 1-3 hats
- 2-3 Rompers
- 1-2 Dressy Outfits
- 1 Christening Gown if applicable
- 5-8 Pairs of socks or booties
- 5-8 Pairs of Pants
- 1-2 Jackets or Sweaters
- 1 Snowsuit or Bunting for winter babies
- 1-2 Swimsuits for summer babies and swim diapers
- Nursing Pillow
- Nipple Butter
- Nursing Pads
- Gel Pads for engorgement
- Milkmaid Tea for increased production
- Nursing Cover
- Travel Nursing Pillow
- Burp Cloths
- Breast Milk Storage Cups or Bags
- Breast Pump
- 2-3 Nursing Bras
- 4-5 Bibs (small -preferably two layers of cloth with waterproof layer between)
- 12-16 Bottles with newborn nipples (both 4oz and 8oz)
- Bottle Drying Rack
- Bottle and Nipple Brush
- Dishwasher Basket for nipples and other small parts
- Burp Cloths
- Bottle Warmer
- 4-5 Bibs (small-preferably two layers of cloth with waterproof layer between)
- Bottle Sterilizer
Diapering - Disposable
- 2-3 Large boxes of newborn size diapers
- Baby wipes
- Diaper cream
- Diaper Pail and liners
- Wipe warmer
- Diaper Caddy (for changing diapers in other areas of the house)
- Changing Table and Pad
- 2-3 Changing pad covers
Diapering - Cloth Diapers
- 24-30 Cloth Diapers (all in ones or pockets) or 6-7 covers and 24-30 prefolds or inserts
- 2 Med. Size Wet Bags or Wet/Dry Bags
- 1-2 Hanging Wet Bags (1 for bathroom, 1 for nursery unless using a diaper pail)
- Diaper Pail (must be one that you can use your own bags)
- Cloth Diaper Rated Diaper Cream
- Snappis for prefolds if applicable
- Cloth Wipes
- Spray bottle for water or wipe solution if making your own
- Diaper Sprayer
- Cloth Diaper Detergent
- Biodegradable Liners
- Bath tub with newborn sling
- Shampoo/Body wash
- 5-6 Washcloths
- 2-3 Towels or Hooded Towels
- Bath Kneeler (for your knees!)
- Bath Toys and Toy Storage
- Bath Thermometer
The Medicine Cabinet
- Nail Clippers
- Nasal Aspirator
- Baby Thermometer
- Saline Nasal Drops
- Medicine Dropper
- Cotton Balls
- Alcohol swabs and bandages
- Baby Gas Drops
- Boo Boo Bunny (for little bumps and scrapes)
- Diaper Bag
- Baby Carrier or Sling
- Stroller - preferably one that takes an infant car seat
- Infant or Convertible Car Seat with extra base for second car
- Pack n Play
- Bouncy Seat or Swing
- Activity Mat
- High Chair - preferably one that reclines and adjusts for height
- Changing Pad
- High Chair
- Baby Food Processor or Food Mill (if making your own baby food)
- 4-5 Baby Food Storage Cube Trays
- 3-4 Bibs - medium to large, waterproof
- Plates, Bowls, Spoons
- Sippy Cups
- 2-3 Teethers (choose a variety of textures from a hard ring to soft and textured to find the best solution for your baby)
- Lovie Blankie (once your baby takes to one, buy 2 more of the same blankie and change them out frequently)
- Wubanub (for those babies with Soothie Pacifiers)
- Music and Sound Machines
- Bouncer or Swing
- Glider for rocking baby
- Activity Gym
- Rattles, Squeakers, Balls
- Soft Blocks
- Make sure crib slats are no more than 2 3/8” apart (use a soda can to measure)
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Baby Monitor
- Window Guards
- Baby gates
- Outlet Covers
- Toilet Latches
- Doorknob guards
- Stove knob covers and stove-top shield
- Padding for sharp corners
- Fireplace guards
- Drapery and Blind Cord Wind-Ups -keep cords out of reach (do not put a crib or changer within reach)
- Remove potentially dangerous household plants
- Cabinet Locks
- TV/DVD/VCR guards
- Set water heater at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or less
- Furniture safety straps or anchors
- Sling, carrier or backpack. Make sure that your carrier meets JPMA certification and that it is not a pocket type carrier where the baby is placed in a C position which could cut off air flow. Read more about the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s recommendations.
Just For Mom
- Belly Bandit
- Postpartum Recovery Kit
- Booby Tubes or gel packs for engorgement
- Teas to help increase or reduce milk production
- Bottom Balm
- Nipple Butter
- Pregnancy Journal
- Baby Keepsake Book
- Document File for Baby’s Paperwork
- Ultrasound Frame
- Diaper Bag
Just For Dad
- Diaper Bag
- Camera and/or Camcorder
- Notebook for names of who to call
- File for important documentation such as the birth plan, doctor numbers, etc.
- Baby Carrier or backpack
- Extra Car Seat Base
- Watch with second hand to time contractions
Great Solutions To Make Life With Baby Easier
- Nap Nanny(Colic, GURD, Nasal congestion, Extra sleep surface)
- Nosefrida(Nasal Congestion)
- Ah Goo Pad(Extra changing pad for mom and dad’s room)
- Padalily(Carry your car seat comfortably)
- Cloud B Sleep Sheep(for comforting white noise)
- Wubanub (allows baby to grasp pacifier easier)
- Sophie(wonderful teether and stimulates five senses)
- Dropper Stopper(keeps bottles and toys from dropping to the ground)
- BeBe Bottle Sling(bottle feeding solution for moms with multiples)
- Boo Boo Bunny(for soothing those little bumps and cuts)
- Beaba Babycook(easy way to prepare your own baby food)
Start your Baby Registry!
Monday, April 19, 2010
As a soon to be parent, you jump excitedly into the baby market, confident to find the hippest coolest products around that are completely safe for your baby. What you soon realize is that there are so many options and deciding which is best for your baby can be overwhelming. The baby market is one of excess. There are hundreds of options in every category. Online and local retailers have grown into massive baby stores offering every product under the sun. Their approach is that more is better. Have every product a parent could possibly want and you are sure to get the sale - right? Baby product reviews can be biased by either the review company receiving free product or by receiving a portion of the sale. Many of the parent reviews that you find can be very outdated. We found some that go back as much as 9 years. Most baby products, especially baby gear, change every year. Reading a review that is more than a year old or that doesn't address the current model of a product is basically useless.
So what is a parent to do?
Our solution - "Shopping For Baby Simplified"
As a retailer of baby products, we feel like it is our responsibility to thoroughly research the market for the best baby products available. Whenever we are deciding on a new product, we spend weeks researching the history, analyzing product reviews and meeting with manufacturer representatives. We don't just bring in a product because it is a fad or the new product on the block. There are many factors that go into our decision making process. Here are some of the criteria that we look at:
- Is the product JPMA certified?
- Does it meet all of our "must-have" features?
- Is it rated highly by non-biased product review companies?
- Are there recent and unbiased parent reviews on the product?
- Has it passed our Mom Product Panel review? (if applicable)
Shopping at GreenPea Baby is easy! You will find select top reviewed baby products in all your major categories and the fun and innovative products that are only found in specialty stores. It is the best of both worlds!
Shop with us and find top products in baby furniture, crib bedding, baby gear and more!
Sunday, April 18, 2010
This amazing stroller is for the parent who wants a stroller that will maneuver easily for shopping but will also be great when exercising, when walking on the beach and taking trips to the park. Why buy more than one stroller when you can have it all in one! When customers come in the store to test drive the Easywalker, they are amazed at how easy it turns and handles.
The Easywalker QTRO has an adjustable footrest for the child’s ultimate comfort, height adjustable handle bar for parent’s comfort, full 4-wheel suspension and includes added safety features such as UV protection. The seating is easy to adjust to four settings, including horizontal. The QTRO’s light weight aluminum frame can be folded into a handy, compact package. With the multi-brand car seat adapter for your infant car seat, this stroller can be used from birth up to age 4. If you prefer the European look, try the optional carrycot.
Receive Free Shipping and Rewards (a $10 gift certificate for every $250 you spend with us)!
Our most popular color choices are the brown, black and silver!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Owning a store and trying to convey to parents our passion for safer products has been a challenge. For four years now, after being diagnosed with cancer, I have read and learned more about our environment and the number of chemicals that we expose ourselves to than I ever wanted to know. It is very hard trying to balance what I know and the passion to tell others without scaring new parents. Many parents have not even given it a thought. Many others know way more than I do. I know in my heart that every parent wants the best for their children, they are just too busy or don't have that adamant friend that keeps filling their minds with words like BPA, Triclosan, Phthalates and on and on.
It has been a real struggle for me moving our family to better products just like anyone else. I have a teenage daughter that wants the cool cosmetics, a son that would have his entire diet consist of junk food and a six year old that is in love with every new plastic toy on the market. It is hard and I have had to learn to balance what I can do all the while teaching them about why we should avoid certain things. Meanwhile behind the scenes I am quietly making changes in how I clean, the skin products that I purchase and buy organic food products where I can. Just like everyone else, I have to find this balance between choosing better products and my budget.
Both in my home and in the store, there are some lines that I feel so passionate about that I won't cross. That is why you will not find a conventional mattress sold here or skin care that contains harmful chemicals. We make sure that all of our feeding products are BPA, Phthalate and Lead Free. We focus on wooden toys made from wonderful companies such as Plan Toys. We will not carry any type of antibacterial lotion or cleanser. Parents have been convinced by advertisers and media that this is the right way to protect your children. I don't believe that everything that you have to wear has to be organic although wrapping a newborn baby in pure fabrics sounds like a good idea to me.
At GreenPea Baby we help prioritize those tough choices one parent at a time. It is our goal to go through the thousands of baby products on the market and to weed out the products that we feel would have the biggest impact on the health of our children. We want to make shopping for baby easier on parents. It is part of our Baby Simplified™ approach. Simplifying your choices, simplifying your life.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
- Helps Fussy Babies Sleep Great
- Eases Fussiness for Any Baby
- Stops Facial Scratches and Twitches that Wake Baby
- Helps Babies Sleep Better on Their Backs
- No Velcro to Scratch or Wake Baby
- No Knots or Confusing Adjustments
- One Size Fits All
When the Organic Miracle Blanket is wrapped around your baby, it will provide gentle pressure on the abdomen to help reduce fussiness.
Makes a wonderful baby gift and a mom must-have. This is our best selling swaddling blanket and we are so excited that it now comes in an organic version! Call us today to give it a try at 1-800-273-6489 or email us at email@example.com for more information.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
- What drives consumers to organic
- How can consumer products harm babies
- What is the government doing to protect consumers
- What certifications are available
- How to choose a healthier mattress for your baby.
First, and most importantly, after countless hours of research into the latest health information, we rank a toxin-free mattress as the top priority for parents beginning to plan their nursery budgets. The research has been piling up against vinyl, PVC, and polyurethane products for many years, and we were delighted about the regulations controlling use of the substances associated with these materials in children's products -- but some of the replacement materials, and fire-resistors, even in some organic mattresses, are still not safe enough given the number of hours that babies and children spend in their beds.
Naturepedic is not the only manufacturer of organic mattresses, of course, so why have we chosen to feature them? Babies and children spend many hours on their mattresses, so we chose Naturepedic because we know parents will rest easier knowing that the mattress their baby is sleeping on:
- ...uses 100% organic cotton fibers grown in the U.S., Greenguard certified as toxin-free at every stage of the growing and manufacturing process, as well as innerspring coil support.
- ...is hypoallergenic, free of common allergens that even many organic mattresses contain, such as natural latex, rubber, coir and wool.
- ...is wrapped in waterproof food-grade polyethylene material (eliminating risk of mold and mildew growth in the mattress) and this material is independently certified as non-toxic.